|New Year's Holiday
by Brenda Arnold
New Year's Eve Black Eyed Peas By: Free Holiday Ideas
The old story goes that black eyed peas were hardy and could grow anywhere so that's why they're good luck for the New Year. During the Civil War, many plantations were destroyed, but the black eyed peas kept growing!
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook time: 2 hours Yield: Large pan
- 1 pound bag of dried black eyed peas
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 ham bone
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ham, cubed
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce
1. Rinse peas.
2. In a large soup pot, add peas and cover with cold water.
3. Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover pot and set on simmer for an hour.
4. In a large skillet, add bacon drippings, onion and garlic and cook a few minutes until tender.
5. Add the onion and garlic, ham, ham bone, cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce to the pot.
6. Pour in more water to cover all ingredients and bring to a simmer.
7. Cover and cook for another hour until black eyes peas are tender
New Year's Champagne Cake: By Free Holiday Ideas
Toast in the New Year with a tasty Champagne Cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Yield: 10 servings
- 1 2-layer-size white cake mix
- Champagne or sparkling wine
- 2 16-ounce cans strawberry frosting
- Fresh strawberries
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour two 8x1-1/2-inch round cake pans; set aside.
Prepare cake mix according to package directions, except replace water with Champagne. Spread batter into prepared pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cake layers from pans. Cool thoroughly on wire racks. Place one cake layer, bottom side up, on a serving platter. Spread with about 1/2 can of frosting. Top with second cake layer, top side up. Spread top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Garnish with strawberries.
Holiday Ideas and Crafts on Facebook. We are your one stop website for Free
ideas to create
holiday and party crafts and decorations